Sunday, 14 June 2015

My Freedom and Joy

{Photos from a performance with my trio last Saturday! Aren't they lovely?!} 

I had a realisation a few weeks ago when I was singing at the local vocal competitions. I am never happier than when I am singing, whether I'm on the stage performing - with a group or as a soloist - or when I'm simply alone, singing my heart out. Those are the moments when I feel free. They are the moments I feel truly alive. 
Sometimes, I feel as if I was created just to sing. Haha.
 Now, don't get me wrong - I don't think I have the best voice in the world, or the greatest technique. All I know is that singing is communicating, and for me, it's the best way to communicate joy, sorrow, love, happiness and thankfulness. I'm not a super emotional person (ask my friends!), and I find it difficult to show emotion most of the time, but when I sing, I feel I can express myself in a way I would otherwise not try. Singing is my way of releasing my soul to be free - wow, that sounds cliché, but it is perfectly true.
 I love to lift my voice in praise of the Lord, and it is my prayer that every note I utter, I do to glorify Him. Unfortunately, being human, I fail at that far more than I would like to. Still, that is my heart's desire. In singing, I experience, and express the fullness of the joy I have been gifted by my Saviour.
Of course, the true fullness of my joy and freedom isn't found in the soaring of my voice. It is found in the blood of my Saviour, and the love and forgiveness that flow from it. If it were not for this, then my singing could not bring me the feeling of freedom and happiness that it does, as true joy is only found in the Lord. But, man am I thankful for my singing!
I think this verse says it all for me really, sums up exactly what I feel when I sing!

Psalm 28:7 “The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and he helps me. My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise him.”

Amen! 
Lots of love, 
Nina xx 

No comments: