Sunday, 6 September 2015

Peculiar Treasures

One of my all time favourite verses is this verse from Exodus 19.
Anyone who knows me well knows I'm a huge fan of Robin Jones Gunn's writing. This verse was a significant one in her Christy Miller series, and played a huge part in my realising my identity in Christ. I was so excited when this verse and the one below were two of the theme verses for this week's MICI girls' session. 

I just love that. Though we are not worthy, through our Saviour Jesus Christ, we have been chosen as a treasure for God, to serve and glorify Him. 

In Romans 8, we are told that we are, through Christ, heirs of God. Okay. Stop and read that again. 

14For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God.
15The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, "Abba, Father."16The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children.17Now if we are children, then we are heirs--heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory. 

Okay. Stop and read that again. How incredible is that?! The God of the U N I V E R S E has called us His own, and not only His own, but also His heirs! The more you think about it, the more difficult it is to comprehend, and the more beautiful it is too. 

One of my favourite authors, Francis Chan, who wrote Crazy Love and You & Me Forever (with his wife), put together a video called the awe-factor of God. It shows a small sliver of how incredible God's creation is. 
Ladies and gentlemen, my brothers and sisters in Christ, THIS is the God who has called us His own treasures, His royal priesthood, His HEIRS!! If we are His in Christ, then this is our true identity. Mind=Blown! 

The God who made this: 
And this: 
And this: 
This: 
This: 
This: 
Not to mention her: 
This child: 
These children: 
These people: 
And everyone, and everything else! Including YOU! Has chosen His people and called us His own treasures. I just love that. 

At the start of our session, we had brought out a treasure box full of things we would consider worldly treasures. At the end, we filled it with our own names. 
I think often we forget who we are in Christ, and this was a really special reminder for me. We are His own treasures. Glorify the Lord for His grace, mercy and love!

Nina xx

No comments: